Thursday, October 6, 2011

Former Egyptian Model Tells Parole Board She Is Not A Monster - Board Disagrees


Omaima Nelson

Somewhere, Calif. (Where else?)

A woman who killed, dismembered and cooked her husband, then ate his body parts, told a parole board: "I am not a monster." In her defense, Nelson told the board she had cooked her husband's meat, which is what any civilized person would do.

Omaima Nelson, 43, sought parole after 20 years behind bars, but the board rejected her request and she will remain in state prison on a term of 27 years to life for second-degree murder.

The hearing did give Nelson an opportunity to discuss the gruesome crime at a Costa Mesa apartment in 1991.

She insisted that her husband, William, was trying to strangle her when she hit him with a lamp, stabbed him with scissors and killed him.
"If I didn't defend my life, I would have been dead. I'm sorry it happened, but I'm glad I lived," said the one-time model from Egypt. "I'm sorry I dismembered him. It's hard to think clearly when you have a large corpse in front of you and are trying to decide what to do with it."

She denied eating her husband, despite testimony by her psychiatrist at her trial. "I swear to God I did not eat any part of him. I am not a monster," she said.

When arrested, Ms. Nelson had a small sliver of her husband's bloody penis dangling from the corner of her mouth. She insisted she had no idea how it got there. Investigators were skeptical and so was the jury that convicted her.

Orange County prosecutors opposed her release, saying she was still a danger to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment