Friday, August 27, 2010

Lawyer: I Had Sex With My Client in Her Home and My Office But Not in the Courthouse Law Library




Lawyer admits inappropriately boffing client

Not the actual client - a stand in>

Facing potential discipline for admittedly having sex with a client at her home and at his office, an Iowa lawyer says any suggestion that he might have done so as well in the Black Hawk County courthouse law library is baseless. He said he never would betray the noble profession of the law with such a vile act.


Clovis Bowles, 56, admits having an affair several years ago with his then-client—which led to their marriage and subsequent divorce six weeks later, after which he paid the woman, who is now in her mid-30s, $200 a month in alimony, the Des Moines Register reports.

After the client/wife complained to lawyer discipline authorities, they investigated. The grievance committee of the Iowa Supreme Court is now recommending that the court suspend him from practice for three years, based both on the affair and Bowles' initial denial of it.

Bowles says he made mistakes which he regrets: “I had an affair with a client,” he tells the newspaper. “And I lied when I denied it. I shouldn’t have, but I did.”

He represented the woman in a criminal matter and allegedly was aware of her troubled emotional history. It was not immediately made clear whether or not his client was acquitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment